Monday, November 10, 2008

Juggling Record!

Yey! I'm 2/3rds of the way to my goal of 100 catches of a 5 ball cascade this year! I just spent 40 minutes focused on 5 balls (the longest I've spent probably this year) and my arms sure are tired! I had several runs up around 50, but my arms kept getting tired and my left arm would randomly throw a ball 5 feet in front of me. Finally I managed to slow myself down enough and made it to about 67 catches!

People ask me this all the time... how do I count so fast? I always count by 4s, starting with 1 on the first ball I catch, it is subconcious really, when I'm out joggling I find myself counting by 2s or 4s. When juggling 4 I count the same ball as hit hits each time. With 5 I just kind of count every other right without thinking about it much. Anyway, lets say my total count is C (18 today). Then if I finish with 5 balls in my hand, I caught C*4+1. If I have less than 5, I just assume (C-1)*4-1. If I had caught the last two it would have been 73, so I just subtract 5 off since I'm not sure which of the 5 balls I dropped. Note: In reality it should be (C-1)*4+1, but I figure I'm less likely to overstate my count with (C-1)*4-1.

Anyway, if I make it to 100 throws this year, I guess my goal for next year will be a full minute of 5 and a full minute of 53444 (4 ball tennis)...

1 comment:

Noffie said...

James Day's Formula for Juggle Counting. Neat.