Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Recommend A Proyo?

Yodel 2007 Proyo

So I was given this fabulous Proyo by John Higby. We already had 2 proyos, and I had written them off as worthless hunks of plastic. Yesterday I played with the Higby yoyo a bit, and found I could do loops better than with my raiders, and almost as good as with my NXGs. So I pulled out the old blue $2 proyo and messed with the string a bit. It was double wrapped and I single wrapped it. It still was not happy. So I unscrewed and rescrewed it a couple times to get the wooden spindle spinning more uniformly, and pow, it is 50 times better than it was. I almost managed to do warp drive a few times.

I still think the Yodel 2007 outperforms it by miles, but I might start recommending these to kids who ask what they should buy.

Pluses:
+ REALLY CHEAP. (In both senses of the word)
+ Unscrews to get out knots.
+ Wooden Spindle gives better sleep times than fixed axel.
+ Returns without binding.
+ Easy to sleep (if not over tight string tension).

Cons:
+ Narrow Gap.
+ Cheaply made and feels too light.
+ More sensitive to string tension than a bearing yoyo, which is bad for newbies who always wind the rong way.



Here is my preference for looping:
NXG >>>> Proyo > Raider > Modded Raider.


Note: I think my modded raider is cracked and was overcranked, but Pat claims he tests every Raider before he ships, so I'll just assume that Modded Raiders need some kind of expert godlike skill to use and leave mine on my shelf until it rusts.

1 comment:

Noffie said...

If you ever start to hate programming, you should open up a yoyo / juggling store in Denver. I suppose there are already like 10 of those. Maybe you could do a physical / online store.